Re: Named constraints

From: Jac. _at_ xs4all <_at_>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:01:35 +0100

Roy,

constraints have their own namespace. This means, that constraint names must be unique within the schema.
The reason lies within the way constraints are implemented in the database. If you look at de data dictionary view called user_constraints, you can see that i.e. foreign keys only contain a reference to another constraint (using the cols r_owner and r_constraint_name) and NOT a table name. The server than looks at the referenced constraint to find out which table belongs to it.
Hope this helps

Jac.