Re: Delete rows is slow

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:43:54 +0100

Loy&Hutz wrote in message <01be13ab$08801660$6d6464c3_at_kom>...
>Hello everybody !
>
>I am new in Oracle world and have this problem:
>
>My test server (NT4.0 Server - Oracle 8.0.4-Server with Pentium 200 and
>only 64 MB RAM) needs very long for deleting rows.
>
>e.g.: Delete * from Tab1 (30000 rows, 200 Cols) needs arround 15 minutes.
>
>all that time the server has disk access.
>
>is it a ram problem ? is the server always swapping pages ? Task manager
>says 90MB RAM in use.

64 MB RAM is probably too little. And you have disc contention (how many phisical discs have you ?). With current hardware config try this: If your oracle instance and database has default settings, the redo size   is too small. So you may have frequent checkpoints which slows down deletes.   In such case add redo logs.
  Try increasing size of redo log buffers also. It consumes very little memory   but it may reduce disc contention especially if your db files are not   distributed across several disc devices. I don't suggest you to increase   db_block_buffers until you add phisical memory. NT may induce disc contention by maximizing caching of any file in use so   paging then may significantly grow (NT then pages out processes areas).   It is serious problem when size of files in use is greater than size of   phisical memory.

HTH,
Piotr Kolodziej
pkol_at_otago.gda.pl Received on Thu Nov 19 1998 - 08:43:54 CST