Oracle8 + Access97 ODBC troubles

From: Eric R. Gavin <jedi_at_tstonramp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:48:28 -0800

Greetings,

I have a successful (seemingly) ODBC connection between Access97 and Oracle8.

Of course if it were totally successful, I wouldn't be writing this now, would I?

The problem:

When I attempt to view the contents of a linked table in Access97 and that Oracle table has a DATE type field in it, all fields IMMEDIATELY fill with #Error and I get some obscur "don't you wish there was documentation for this" Access97 error message.

However, I can manipulate data in Oracle tables just fine as long as there are no date fields.

A "good" table without a date field that has data in it, will instantly become "bad" if I add a DATE type field.

The last part: doing data entry on a "bad" field IS successful as verified by running a SELECT query from Server Manager or SQL*Plus; but MS Access just won't do it.

Any previous experience or sage advice on this one?

Thanks,

Eric R. Gavin
Wannabe Oracle DBA Received on Wed Nov 18 1998 - 19:48:28 CST