Re: dbms_utility.analyze_schema('SYS', 'COMPUTE')

From: Rich Woods <rawoods_at_concentric.net>
Date: 18 Nov 1998 16:55:41 PST

Vic,

As the Analyze command updates the data dictionary with information extracted from the specified table/index/schema, a deadlock will most likely occur when the Analyze command attempts to gather this information from the data dictionary table where statistics are stored.

FYI - if the "don't do it" appears in Oracle documentation, consider it an official statement.