Re: export to tape

From: Yassir Khogaly <yassir_at_khogaly.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 20:53:04 -0000

There are two ways to export directly to tape:

  1. Use the volsize parameter when invoking export. This is the easiest and most convenient way to export directly to tape. This is an example of how export would be invoked from the command line: exp userid=scott/tiger file=/dev/rmt0 volsize=200M ... This command will then write 200M of export data to each successive tape that is put in the tape drive.
  2. Use the set of scripts provided by Oracle. This is a much more complicated procedure than the first and has no advantage over it. However, it does give the export and import procedures some consistency. Here are the contents of the README file regarding the export procedure: 1. Have a number of tapes ready.
  3. Log onto the file directory containing these scripts from two different terminals preferably within sight of the tape drive. This is so that one terminal can monitor the export process and the other can be used to control tape mounts.
  4. From terminal 1, start the process do_exp.
  5. When prompted, change reels and then enter the command next from terminal 2.
  6. When the last copy finished, enter the command stop_bkrnd from terminal 2. Importing--------- There is only one way to import directly from tape, use the scripts available from Oracle. However, if you have the disk space, you can copy the tapes to the disk, concatenate them, and run a normal import. Using the scripts: This procedure must be used if there is not enough disk space to hold the export file on the disk. It is best decribed by the contents of the README file: 1. Have a number of tapes ready.
  7. Log onto the file directory containing these scripts from two different terminals preferably within sight of the tape drive. This is so that one terminal can monitor the export process and the other can be used to control tape amounts.
  8. From terminal 1, start the process do_imp.
  9. When prompted, change reels and then enter the command next from terminal 2.
  10. When the last copy finished, enter the command stop_bkrnd from terminal 2. Copying to disk:
  11. Use dd to copy each of the tapes to disk. Example: Assume that the you created the tapes with the export command above and that each tape block is 512 bytes. Then a 200M file would be made of 400 blocks: dd if=/dev/rmt0 of=file1 count=400 dd if=/dev/rmt0 of=file2 count=400 ...
  12. Concatenate the files together. cat file1 file2 ... > expdat.dmp 3. Do the normal import. NOTES-----Notes on the scripts provided by Oracle:
  13. The do_exp and do_imp scripts assume that you want to do a full database export. If this is not the case, then the scripts should be changed.
  14. The bkrnd_out and bkrnd_in scripts both read from a non-rewindable device.
  15. The bkrnd_out and bkrnd_in scripts are currently set to copy only 40 blocks at a time. You should increase this in accord with the size of your tapes. This is set in the dd commands in both scripts by the count parameter. Programming wrote in message <36532619.6076_at_mb.sympatico.ca>...