Recovery Times

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 14:39:54 -0600

I am interested in time-to-recover an Oracle database is various configurations.
I hope some other people will volunteer their experiences. Here is mine:

I had to recover a full database to a point-in-time. We had archived 111 redo log files between the last backup and the point-in-time. These redo files were 20 MB each, or a total of 2,220MB. The recovery took 23 minutes or 96.5 MB / minute.

I later (through some dumbness on my part) had to recover an additional database file from the same 111 redo log files. This took only 8 minutes or 277.5 MB / minute.

More recently, we had to do a pair of similar recoveries. We had since upped the redo log files to 200 MB each. However the MB / minute roughly matched the earlier experience.

These timings were on an HP K450 box, HP-UX 10.20, EMC disk array.

Considering the three hours it took to restore the database data files, I was fairly plesed with this rate of recovery.

TIA for any thoughts.

John