Enterprise report development with Oracle 8.0.4 / HP-UX and WinNT/ CTD

From: Lachlan Pitts <PittsLR_at_housing.pwh.qld.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:23:49 +1000

Greetings gurus, (me again)

Can anyone one tell me if the following is _currently_ possible with = Oracle products?

What I am asking is a variety of questions about the scenario under the = line :

Does anybody forsee any problems with the scenario set out below? Is Report Server (of appropriate version) currently available for HP = 11.0?
Does Report Server support inline conversions instead of calls to print? =  (ie. RTF)
Does anyone know the approximate cost of Oracle Report Server / Builder? Can I call a report from PL/SQL and pass in parameters?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Lachlan Pitts
home: L.Pitts_at_uq.net.au
project: Pittslr_at_housing.pwh.qld.gov.au : +61 7 3224 7806

Projected design -

Oracle 8.0.4.2.1 Enterprise Edition with Objects Option on HP-UX 11.0 as = system server

Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (SP4) & Microsoft Office 97 (SR-2) as client = with a custom Centura Team Developer application running....

Scenario(s):

Reports Server running on HP
Report definitions created with Report Builder

[Client Requests Immediate Output]

1. Client initiates a PL/SQL procedure with parameters from CTD = application

  1. [For Client side modification / print]
  2. Oracle runs report and generates RTF file which is then provided = to client(Samba mapped drive - HTTP etc)
  3. Client opens RTF file and can modify (and save to another storage = area) before printing from locally mapped printer using whatever editor.
  4. [For Server side immediate printing]
  5. Oracle runs report to printer (or via Postscript)

[Client Requests Scheduled Output]

1. Client initiates a PL/SQL procedure with parameters from CTD = application
2. At scheduled time, Oracle procedure runs and runs report to printer Received on Wed Nov 18 1998 - 02:23:49 CST