Re: bitmap indexes

From: Diane <Diane_at_coalole.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:33:24 +0000

In article <72pjd1$km5$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, slniemann_at_my-dejanews.com writes
>I am trying to get some general information about bitmap indexes fitting to my
>situation.
>
>I have a database containing tables with rows of 750,000+
>
>In these tables is a foreign key of codes (72 distinct) which is set to its
>description table. These tables do receive a lot of update and insertion,
>many, many per day.
>
>As I understand it, the bitmap index works best with a static table, but
>would it be completely idiotic to form bitmap indexes for this column in
>these tables?
>
>I am still learning about bitmap indexes and could use any feedback you have.
>Thanks.
>

>S Niemann

Bitmap indexes are best for when there are very few different value posibilities compared to the total number of rows. For example if you have 10,000 rows and a column with 10/20 different possible values a bitmap index would be useful.
We use bitmapped indexes on a number of tables in our data warehouse - invoices, invoice lines, and the fact tables, none of which are static in that they are being added to every day - although they are not being amended or deleted from so do not match your situation. The best thing I can suggest is 'suck it and see'! add a bitmap index, measure performance, drop the bitmap and replace with a standard index and measure performance.
Good luck.
--
Diane Received on Tue Nov 17 1998 - 14:33:24 CST