USERENV('SESSION_ID') / auditing

From: Vic Thomas <vic04_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:35:30 -0500

    The documentation for versions 7.3 and 8.0 both state that to be able to use the 'SESSION_ID' keyword in the USERENV() function, the initialization parameter AUDIT_TRAIL must be set to TRUE.

    This documentation is a bit misleading for a number of reasons. First, the INIT.ORA parameter setting AUDIT_TRAIL can only be set to [NONE|DB|OS]. "TRUE" is not an option. Second, even if I start up the instance with AUDIT_TRAIL set to "NONE", the USERENV('SESSION_ID') still returns a valid value!

    So what's going on here? Is the Oracle documentation just completely and wildly inaccurate? Is that possible? ;^)

    Incidentally, I've noticed this behavior both in Oracle 7.3.2.3.1 on Windows NT Server and in Oracle 7.3.4.2.0 on HP-UX. Could this behavior be platform-specific?

Vic Thomas
Database Analyst
Associated Software Consultants
vic04_at_sprynet.com; vic_at_asconline.com Received on Tue Nov 17 1998 - 10:35:30 CST