Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: Ng K C Paul <paulkcng_at_news.netvigator.com>
Date: 1998/11/16

I can explain that sometimes Sybase holds the fastest tpc and sometimes Oracle and sometimes DB2.

Sybase vs Oracle is like Unix vs VMS , ls vs dir

Karl Zdero (zderok_at_viaginterkom.de) wrote:
: The usual techie debate continues,
: Is Sybase better than Oracle or is Oracle better than Sybase?
:
: When it comes to benchmarks, the www.sybase.com site says that Sybase
: holds the world record, but www.oracle.com says it holds the record. I
: see in www.tpc.org that the fastest tpc is with Oracle!
:
: Now apart from benchmarks, what makes either database better?
:
: I like Oracle as I've used it the most, heres why.
: + sqlplus is superior than isql, at least I can check return error
: codes.
: + PL/SQL is more powerful than TRANSACT/SQL
: + I can see qll SQL activity for a particular session (SQLAREA),
: can't do it in Sybase?
: + Oracle comes standard with many utilities, whereas Sybase doesn't
: + Oracle has more options with triggers than Sybase. e.g. per row
: triggers and per statement
: (In Sybase you must write a cursor loop to action a multiple row
: insert for example)
: + Monitors are standard with Oracle. (Sybase dont think so)
: + Row level locking been for years in Oracle, only recently in
: Sybase.
: + Oracle can select data from another database on another server
: (dblink) Can Sybase?
:
: