Observing Huge Non disk Logical I/O in Glance (small table huge degradation)

From: SS Suresh <ssuresh_at_india.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:11:11 +0530

Hi,

We are experiencing a critical performance problem with Oracle. Our application is a Pro*C application and Oracle 7.3.3 We have one function in the application which has the following Pro*C code which causes extensive damage to the performance.

EXEC SQL SELECT A_NUMBER FROM INCLUSION_4_GRANULARITY WHERE A_NUMBER = :temp;

Commenting out the above said SQL statement gives a performance of 250 CDRs / Second. With the above statement the system degrades to 65 CDRs / Second. When we observed thru Glance Plus we saw a huge number 15000+ in the Non disk Logical Reads and Non disk Logical Writes.

With commented out code the values for the above two are nearly 0.

This is a pointer to the whole problem. If we could avoid this Non disk Logical
read/writes then I belive we will be able to over come the problem.

Can someone give me some pointer to this problem ?

I will also list out the things which I have already tried out

  1. Created the table with "CACHE" option
  2. Since the table is small table (less than 100 records) I removed Index as indexes on small table may be costly.
  3. We have enough SGA Size (around 181 MB)

--ssuresh Received on Mon Nov 16 1998 - 23:41:11 CST