fragmentation - a myth?

From: <benkrug_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:01:22 GMT

Hi gurus -

Has anyone out there done tests to check the effect of fragmentation on performance?

I wonder whether worrying about fragmentation is over-rated. Sure, if you have an old, fragmented table/index, and you rebuild them, performance is better. But how much of that is due to the index rebuild?

Has anyone done timings to see how much performance improves when they
(1) re-analyze the table
(2) rebuild the index
(3) de-fragment the objects?

I'm going to do some myself soon.

I know theoretically you reduce head
movement, etc, but I wonder how much that matters these days.

Any results would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben Krug, DBA
benkrug_at_yahoo.com