Reporting on differences between 2 schemas

From: Jim Baker <JimBaker_at_altavista.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:52:21 +0000

Folks,

I have recently inherited a development schema with a slightly checkered history - its design was originally held in a tool called PowerDesigner (not one I know) but has since been reverse engineered into Designer v2.1, comments being loaded by an (undocumented) set of scripts calling the Designer API.

I want to produce a version control report describing the differences between two versions of the schema, both of which are held on the database and in the D2K repository. It would be nice to get a flat text report of some kind, suitable for automatic processing, but anything would be useful. If you have scripts which try and establish differences between two schemas, they'd be useful to me, as would custom reports for Designer which give a breakdown of changes to the server model at the column level between sucessive versions of an application system. I will also have to document changes to constraints.

The platform is AIX server, NT client. Dodgy shell/sqlplus scripts would be gratefully accepted - I just don't really fancy writing scripts from scratch.

If you've got anything which you think might be useful, please post or email me at JimBaker_at_altavista.net if you've got large scripts/binaries. Received on Mon Nov 16 1998 - 12:52:21 CST