Re: Is it possible to remove temporary added datafile from tablespace ?

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:23:22 GMT

satar_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

]No, you have 2 options:
]
]1) rebuild the RBS tablespace
]2) If you are running 7.2 or greater, you can shrink the size of the datafile.
]
]Satar

WARNING: THIS IS NOT INTENDED AS A SERIOUS SOLUTION. DON'T TRY IT.

Option 3:
 OFFLINE DROP the file in Oracle, then `rm` the file from the O/S.

(It does mean you can't backup that tablespace anymore though, that's why it is a bad idea).

Satar, since I have actually done the above, do I now have to drop and recreate the tablespace, or is there some other option. I know there are no tables or references to anything in the dropped file. The file is offline, when I do a backup controlfile to trace, the new control file lists the removed file, but then OFFLINEs it. Can I convice the DB to do the "DROP" bit I asked it to? --

 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.     (OO)
\_,--\_/  Home: gedau_at_pobox.com      Work: gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au ( \/ )
      v   WWW:  http://pobox.com/~gedau                          W--W

MIM Internet policy item 3.4 compliance - "I am clearly stating that any views or opinions expressed above do * NOT * necessarily represent the views or opinions of MIM." Received on Sat Nov 14 1998 - 18:23:22 CST