Re: Partial Restore ?

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 15 Nov 98 00:08:32 GMT

No, import does not use where clauses. Its purpose is to export and import tables, users, the entire database.

You asked how to resore a table from import without duplicating the data already in the table.

Do you have a machine where you can set up another database? If you want to park some tables somewhere for a while, put them in another database. Create another table using create table as select (whatever) where (whatever) having (whatever). Export that, import it with ignore=y (since the table already exists). Or use distributed Oracle and create a database link, insert into table_needs_refresh as select (whatever) where (whatever) having (whatever) from backup_table_at_dblink.

Wim Teuwens (Wte_at_Technum.Be) wrote:
: Ok. I know what you mean.

: But I'm talking about 15 tables with appox. 600000 rows !

: I hope our serversupplier has enough disks to sell me, if i'm importing
: those tables (tablespace, roll-back segments, etc...). And it's possible I
: have to do this a few times per month! Isn't this way of restoring a waste
: of time and space ?

: Isn't there no tool to import only those rows from a table which meet a
: specific criteria ? Such as only those rows where ID > 1000 AND LOCATION =
: 'USA' (something like that) ?.

: Thanks anyway. I'll consider your solution.

: By the way, I heard someone mentioning 'Snapshots'. Could this maybe be a
: solution ? (I'm quite new with Oracle and am not so sure what he meant with
: that).

: Bye

: Thomas Pall wrote in message <364ca795.0_at_feed1.realtime.net>...
: >Take a look at fromuser, touser parameters in Import. You could create a
: >new user, give them unlimited tablespace or resource role (which
: >internally grants unlimited tablespace to the user), or enough
: >quota on some tablespaces. You import the objects belonging to the
: >schema you do not want to clobber into the schema of the new user. The
: >system privilege needed to import one user's objects into another schema
: >is Become Any User.
: >
: >Once you have your tables restored into the new schema, issue the
: >appropriate sql to merge the data with the tables already there.
: >
: >Wim Teuwens (wte_at_technum.be) wrote:
: >: Hi,
: >
: >: I'm quite new in the RDBMS/Oracle World, and have a question about
: >: restoring data:
: >
: >: Suppose I want to restore some data from some tables which has been
: back-upd
: >: let's say 1 month ago.
: >
: >: When I do a restore (import), is it not true that I overwrite ALL the
: data
: >: I've entered afther that backup from a month ago ?
: >
: >: So my question is : how can I do a partial restore from a dump ?
: >
: >: Thanks,
: >
: >: Wte_at_Technum.be