Re: Oracle 7.3.3 on AIX 4.2.1 & Raw Devices

From: Uwe Schneider <pi_at_nospam.richard-schneider.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 17:47:27 +0100

Hi Rob,

Rob wrote:

> I've read in an Oracle Press book that it is possible to expand a raw
> device. We are in the position of having to add space to a tablespace
> currently consisting of one raw device.
>
> Is my only option to ALTER TABLESPACE <tsname> ADD DATAFILE
> '/dev/new_raw_dev' ...
> or can I somehow modify the existing raw device at the O/S Level through the
> logical volume manager?
>
> This may be more of an AIX question than Oracle, but if someone out there
> has the same set-up (AIX) and Oracle 7.3, I'd greatly appreciate any
> insight.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.

Although I do not use Oracle on a AIX raw device and i am no more an AIX expert, I am quite sure that expanding a LV does NOT destroy any data on it. The system just changes the mapping from physical partitions to logical volumes.

Uwe

--

Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7251 / 82587
Karlsdorfer Str. 31 | Mail    pi_at_richard-schneider.de

Linux - OS al dente! Received on Sat Nov 14 1998 - 10:47:27 CST