Re: Who to copy complete database

From: Jim Basler <jim_basler_at_intervoice.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:25:33 -0600

Ulrich:

As I see it, you have 2 choices. You can "clone" the database or you ca= n
rebuild it from scratch, in the new environment and import the data from = the
production environment into the new database (as you alluded-to).

Which choice you make depends on what sounds good to you.

Cloning Advantages:
  Fast

Import Advantages
  Allows compression of extents and miscellaneous cleanup.   Allows you to make your datafiles SMALLER than those in the production environment.

At our site we rebuild our TEST database(s) about every 60 days. I ALWAY= S use
the Import method for the advantage I described. You didn't say how big = your
database is. Our production is about 20GB and I can rebuild it with an i= mport
in < 24 hours.

I wrote an article that appeared in the OAUG Insight Magazine this quarte= r on
Successful Migration of Oracle Applications Database.

"Choose your poison" and let us know.

-Jim Basler
Oracle Database Administrator,
Intervoice, Inc.