Stored Procedure Question

From: Brent Moonen <brentm_at_flash.net>
Date: 1998/11/12

I am new to Oracle (version 7.3.3) and I am having difficulty creating a stored procedure. I want to be able to pass a value into this procedure and have it run a simple select statement using the value passed in the where clause. I believe this is possible in SQL Server, so I figured it would be possible in Oracle. I have not been able to do this and the Oracle documentation only gives examples using action queries (I have had success using Inserts, Updates, & Deletes in Procedure). This is my statement:

CREATE PROCEDURE TEST (xyz IN number)
AS
  BEGIN
    SELECT * FROM SomeTable
    WHERE SomeField = xyz;
  END;
/

This results in a compiliation error. Is this sort of thing possible or not? I thought of trying to use function, but I believe that it will only return one value rather than all the fields in the table. I'll be calling this procedure from VB using ADO. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brent Moonen Received on Thu Nov 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST