Re: Convert Mixed case data to Upper/Lower case

From: Njål A. Ekern <n.a.ekern_at_usit.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 00:51:45 +0100

sanjay.raj_at_roche.com wrote:

> I have a table with 2 million rows and the names in NAME column are entered
> in Mixed case.I don't want the users to use UPPER/LOWER in their queries and
> hence would like to change the data to all upper/lower case. What is the best
> way to do this?

I would say that the normal thing to do is to add a column to hold the uppercase of the names, and create a 'before row'-trigger on insert and update to fill it in automatic. This because there are some names in mixed upper/lower that you cannot generate automatic, so you loose information when converting to upper and back to proper. You probably do not want to loose such information. For Example: Willy vanHell -> WILLY VANHELL -> Willy Vanhell.

Njål Received on Thu Nov 12 1998 - 17:51:45 CST