Re: URGENT:HP-UX 11.0 32bit and Oracle 8.0.4.0.0 Problem

From: Richard Lloyd <rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:36:22 GMT

In article <364AEABF.4BEE_at_pacific.net.sg>, PP <gohchan_at_pacific.net.sg> writes:
> Anyone had problems installing Oracle 8.0.4.0.0 on
> HP-UX 11.0 32bit. The ORAINST continued to install and
> copy the binaries from the CD-ROM to the harddisk and
> when it finished, it started up SVRMGRL to create the
> database and then the SQL.LOG message reported that
> it could not run SVRMGRL as there was a TNS error.

One presumes that you selected "Create DB objects" in the installer when you went to install your initial products. This not only sets up the Oracle binaries, but also copies a default database from the CD ROM and attempts to fire up the database *locally* (at this point, the listener shouldn't be running, so I wouldn't expect any TNS errors).

I'm assuming that you're starting from scratch with your installation and that you don't have TNS_ADMIN env. var. already pointing to a dir with tnsnames.ora in it !

One classic is that if you want to install the Oracle Developer CD-ROMs after the intiial Oracle CD-ROMs, you have to "dbshut" your database before you can eject the original CD-ROMs (it locks them in there !).

> Anyone have a similar problem or is it just me ?
> Should I upgrade to 8.0.4.2.1 and maybe the problem
> will go away ?

I actually went through several installs of 8.0.4 and 8.0.5 (the latter is the latest release). HP-UX 10.20 was pretty smooth - not a problem at all. HP-UX 11.00 was a nightmare, ranging from PFS errors [ended up having to install from hard disk copies I made of the CD-ROMs !] to faulty installer scripts (had to copy them from the 10.20 8.0.5 CD-ROMs !!) in the Net8 part of the installer to having problems linking with an old copy of aCC (moved it out of the way and things went OK - it links with cc if it can't find aCC).

Put it this way, HP-UX 11.00 Enterprise Edition CD-ROM for Oracle 8.0.5 (32-bits version) just doesn't work "out of the box" - there is *no way* Oracle can claim to have "certified" this CD-ROM. Good job I knew all the workarounds...

Richard K. Lloyd,         E-mail: rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk
Computer Science Dept.,      WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~rkl/

Liverpool University,
Merseyside, England,
Great Britain. Received on Thu Nov 12 1998 - 15:36:22 CST