Re: INDEX REBUILD

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 12 Nov 98 21:36:47 GMT

Alter index rebuild creates a parallel index from the index already there, then drops the first index. If you read the railroad track for alter index, you'll see there is a storage clause you may specify. If you do not specify different storage parameters to create one extent only, I suspect you get the default storage parameters of the tablespace which contains the index.

Note that on export you can specify compress=y. This will create an initial extent for a table so the whole table fits into the initial extent. However this does not happen with indexes.

Paul Bennett (bennett_at_cc.gatech.edu) wrote:
: I have issued the command alter index <index name> rebuild on a few
: indexes who had a lot of extents (in order to put the entire index in
: one extent and make it faster), however, when i run this command the
: number of extents does fall to one, but the size of the extent is just
: whatever the initial extent size was in the first place. i would except
: this number to get bigger. if the index used to have 200 extents in
: addition to the initial extent how can the entire index fit into the
: initial extent now that I rebuilt it. Every index that I have rebuilt
: has done this. is it just a coincidence? is it because rows were added
: to make the other extents necessary and then some rows where deleted and
: therefore there are holes in the index?

: am I doing the right thing to the indexes? did i misinterpret what the
: rebuild command does?

: thanks.