INDEX REBUILD

From: Paul Bennett <bennett_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:38:56 -0500

I have issued the command alter index <index name> rebuild on a few indexes who had a lot of extents (in order to put the entire index in one extent and make it faster), however, when i run this command the number of extents does fall to one, but the size of the extent is just whatever the initial extent size was in the first place. i would except this number to get bigger. if the index used to have 200 extents in addition to the initial extent how can the entire index fit into the initial extent now that I rebuilt it. Every index that I have rebuilt has done this. is it just a coincidence? is it because rows were added to make the other extents necessary and then some rows where deleted and therefore there are holes in the index?

am I doing the right thing to the indexes? did i misinterpret what the rebuild command does?

thanks. Received on Thu Nov 12 1998 - 13:38:56 CST