Re: db_block_buffers - can you have too many ? Thomas Kyte, please help!

From: Kristiaan Johan Kolk <akolk_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:08:06 -0800

It really depends on what you do. A large Buffer Cache may move your problem to a later stage (when the buffer cache is flled up e.g.) and writing the dirty buffers may be come the bottleneck. Having a smaller buffer cache could make the DBWR more active and write dirty buffers earlier.

The other problem is that when extents get allocated the DBWR has to make sure that the extent range is not in the buffer cache and scan the whole buffer cache and write dirty blocks in that range (for reuse).

The reasons can always be found in v$system_event.

Anjo Kolk.