Re: MSSQL 7.0 overview ...

From: gus <gus_goose_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/11/11

ªü¼Ö¥K wrote:

> Hi,
> after a MSSQL 7.0 overview course, they introduced a very useful query
> function.
> it can 'select' from 'OLEDB' or 'ODBC' supported data source within
> query.
> e.g. select a.col1, a.col2, b.col3, b.col4
> from ('OLESQL','dbname','sa','password',
> 'select col1, col2 from oletbl') as a, localtb as b
> where a.col1 = b.col1
>
> (not 100% correct syntax)
>
> it is not a offence, i just want to know does sybase (ASE 11.5 or 11.9)
> has a simular function ?
>
> Thanks in advice
>
> Arnox,
> 8^)

Sybase does not do this.

I can see the power of it from an integration perspective, but I would be hesitant to say it is a *good* thing. Maybe if you have multiple hetrogenous (i.e. not all the same vendor) database servers on the *same* physical machine, or accross dedicated networks then this would be useful. On the other hand, you would then have concerns about trying to maintin a complex environment. In an "ideal" setup, all your data servers would be homogenous and you could use much more efficient and stable propriatry interfaces such as remote procedure calls in Sybase.

The real question is, why does microsoft feel they need to have this sort of functionality? Do they want to be able ti draw their data from *other* database systems? Are they not confident that MS SQL server can handle the data locally? Is MS SQL Server becomming a *front-end* to other more competent databases?

In theory this allows you to put ODBC access on to text files which would be fantastically useful as a data load mechanism. That is about the only long term benefit I can see. Picture the scene, you get an ASCI file of information and all you need to do is:

insert into datatable
select cola, colb, colc
from ('ODBC', '\\server\service\datafile')

or something.

Could you do it the other way as a data extraction tool?

insert into ('ODBC', .....)
select ....
from datatable

There's a thought.

Still, that code would be very platform specific, and although I could see it happening, the standard tools of replication, RPC, bcp, and others are probably better and more stable.

Being a bit biased *against* Microsoft, which I admit I am, I will have to end this by saying:

If you really want a serious database server, why do you want to run it on NT? (That pretty much excludes MS SQL Server, doesn't it ;-)

Well, interesting idea, and probably a good one, but it is very open to abuse.

cheers

gus Received on Wed Nov 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CST