Re: Huge INSERT and unfriendly ROLLBACK

From: Neil Hulin <nospam_at_litech.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: 1998/11/11

Think about these things:

Are you firing any triggers on the table that you are inserting into? The ripple effect could be what is blowing you out. As for temporary segments, ensure that you have the appropriate storage parameters set for the target table. Throwing extents is a good way to waste time. I've experience with tables that were about 13GB each and with the incorrect storage parameters any operations would take up to eight hours rather than four minutes with the correct storage parameters (11,000 small extents as opposed to 13 x 1GB extents).

Do you experience disk contention? ie. are the source and target tables on the same physical? Run a check on I/O for the table AND indexes. See where the indexes are on the target table.

Do you experience buffer contention? ie. what other processes are running at the same time?

Try disabling the indexes, perform the insert, and then reenable the index in parallel.

...neil [ Actually: neil.hulin_at_litech.freeserve.co.uk] Received on Wed Nov 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CST