Re: DB_BLOCK_SIZE/RAID 5 for DEC ALPHA NT 4.0

From: Minh Giang <mpg_at_fast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:18:45 -0500

Depending the nature of your application and/or the usage of the Oracle tables, increasing the block size may or may not hurt your performance. A general rule I follow is, if you you're doing a lot transactional processing, I would keep the block size less or equal to 4K, because most of the time you'll be retrieving or updating one row at a time and a record usually take up more than 4K. For DSS system, I would recomend a high block size. Our Data Warehouse is set to 16K block size.

Minh