SQL*PLUS and reports

From: Ha Kong Kuen <kkha_at_hkusua.hku.hk>
Date: 12 Nov 1998 03:41:16 GMT

Hi,

I come across some stange findings when trying to convert reportwriter 1.1 to reports 2.5 and would like any comments on it. We are running Oracle v.7.2.2.3.0 on two machines, one running parallel server option and the other does not. Our SQL*PLUS engine 3.2.2.0.0 with PL/SQL 2.2.2.3.0

We have a report (in reportwriter 1.114.16.1) with sql statement:

	select staff_no, dept_num, xx_code, sum(amount)
	from etc etc
	group by xx_code, staff_no, dept_num

Please note that there is no order by clause. Usually, it works but not in this case. I run on both machines and even extract the sql statement to run. The two machines give the the consistent wrong sorting order. One prints in strict order of staff_num while the other in order of dept_num and staff_num. Never in order of xx_code.
But if I convert it to reports 2.5, it gives the CORRECT result!!

Any comments on the anomaly?? Received on Wed Nov 11 1998 - 21:41:16 CST