Oracle 7 Workgroup Server Question - Remote Access

From: <burkem_at_citilink.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:19:52 GMT

I am currently trying to configure Oracle 7 Workgroup server on my home NT box. This Oracle server will be accessed from my laptop (connected via my home network).

DISCLAIMER:
I am not an Oracle DBA. I am an application developer who has used Oracle in this role; however, I have little Oracle DBA experience.

I have installed Oracle 7 Workgroup Server on my NT box and have restored our database instance. I am able to start the oracle listener and access the DB from the local NT box.

I am unable to connect to this DB from my laptop (connected via my home network). I've read through the Oracle docs and they mention that you must configure the TNSNAMES.ORA and LISTENERS.ORA?? files in order to enable remote access to the DB.

The documentation also refers to a utility which "must" be used to configure the TNSNAMES.ORA file. I am unable to find this utility on my NT box.

Would someone please provide me with an example TNSNAMES.ORA file and LISTENERS.ORA?? file that I could use as a template...and any other information that I'll need to get this going?

I'm really crunched for time on this; since, I am working evenings out of my home. I'm not an Oracle DBA and I don't have much time to research this further.

I would greatly appreciate your help in this effort. Please respond via e-mail at the address listed in my signature.

Thank you in advance,