Re: Redo-Logs = NO?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:21:21 +0100

Hi Helmut,

I am afraid you are mixing up several things. First of all: redo log files are vital, you can't switch them of completely. You can run a database in noarchivelog mode, and you shouldn't definitely do that in a production situation. Actually having the redo logs, which is a roll forward image (which is completely different from a rollback segment) allows Oracle to piggy-back transactions, and postpone writes to the database, thus minimising the number of database writes. Please consult the Oracle Server Concepts manual for further details.

Then, as to the ora-1552 error. To create a second tablespace, there must be a second rollback segment in the system tablespace. This is necessary only once, and the segment can be put offline after creation of the second tablespace. You should have a separate tablespace dedicated to rollback segments, and the rollback segments should either be public, or private and listed in the init<sid>.ora. If you have rollback segments outside the system tablespace, they are probably offline because they are private and have not been listed in the init<sid>.ora. In a normal production situation only the SYSTEM rollback segment (which exists by design in the tablespace system and is used to commit DDL-transactions) should be enabled.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA