tnsnames.ora file

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:07:20 -0500

I'm sure this in the documentation somewhere so I apologize ahead of time
for what may be a dull posting, but can someone explain the different parts
of an entry in the tnsnames.ora file? I understand SID, Protocol, Host, and Port,
but I'm confused by ".world", what the difference is between that and "Community",
as well as address_list and address. Any comments would be appreciated. If someone
knows where in the documentation to look for a detailed explanation that would be nice as well. Oracle 7.3.3 or Oracle 8 documentation.

Example1.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =