Re: How to rename oracle instance

From: Dan Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:07:33 -0800

> > I need to rename a DB instance from ORCL to something better.
> > The environment is Oracle Personal 8.0, NT4.
> > Please tell me how to do that.
> > Alex
> >

> Don't know how to do this in Personal, but the server version has
> utility referred to as "NT Instance Manager" -- oradim80.exe
> So far as I know, you can not rename the instance.
> You can, however, delete the instance and start a new one, with a
> different name, which will access the same database:

There is no problem renaming an instance. Look at ALTER DATABASE. An alternative is to leave your SID as ORCL and just make the appropriate change to TNSNAMES.ORA so that when the user enters the connect string XYZ it points to the SID = ORCL entry.

And remember with oradim it does some very dangerous things in graphics mode that it does not do from the command line. Do not use oradim in graphics mode if you don't know what you are doing.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Nov 11 1998 - 15:07:33 CST