Re: db_block_size and performance

From: Dan Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:50:18 -0800

> Perhaps this is a dumb question, but why would you to switch from Unix
> to NT? In some cases we're trying to do the opposite. In my
> experience, Unix is more flexible and more reliable. I've also found
> Oracle easier to administer on Unix. I don't know what I'd do as a DBA
> without the unix shell and cron. Are these tools available on NT.

The only thing available on NT, and I unfortunately am administering some NT installations, are crashes, blue screens of death, memory leaks, and, of course, the thought that we are doing are part to make sure that Bill Gates doesn't have to skip the Ceasar's and get the regular dinner salad.

I can not understand why anyone would prefer NT to Unix and given that you have Intel architecture why anyone would prefer NT to Solaris or Linux.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Nov 11 1998 - 12:50:18 CST