SQL*Net Client vs Server

From: <mstanbrook_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:12:22 GMT

As a new DBA, I have many questions, but I'll keep it short:

Running Oracle 7.3 on NT4.0

On the server, I am able to connect to a database using SQL*Plus only by issuing the username/password. (I assume this makes use of the default database setting). From a client computer however, Trying to connect to the server using only the username/password results in:

: ORA-03121: no interface driver connected - function not performed

Using the username,password,and service will permit a connection from the client.

My question is: Why? And can the client not be configured to connect in the same manner as the server did?

Mike Stanbrook
mstanbrook_at_yahoo.com