Re: How to rename oracle instance

From: Kirill Richine <krichine_at_radss.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:35:44 -0700

arivlin_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I need to rename a DB instance from ORCL to something better.
> The environment is Oracle Personal 8.0, NT4.
> Please tell me how to do that.
> Alex

Don't know how to do this in Personal, but the server version has utility referred to as "NT Instance Manager" -- oradim80.exe So far as I know, you can not rename the instance. You can, however, delete the instance and start a new one, with a different name, which will access the same database:

oradim80 -delete -sid ORCL
// after this the OracleServiceORCL and OracleStartORCL should disappear // from the list of services in Control Panel | Services oradim80 -new -sid XXXX -intpwd xxxxxxx -startmode auto ...

// you can do oradim80 -? to get help on it, use -pfile with the same
// initORCL.ora file as you had for ORCL instance
// after this the OracleServiceXXXX and OracleStartXXXX should appear
// in the list of services, OracleServiceXXXX should appear as started
at this point you can just reboot and after a while, your database should start, mount, and open automatically. You can also do the following to avoid reboot:

set oracle_sid=XXXX
set local=2:XXXX
svrmgr30
connect internal
xxxxxxx
startup pfile=..... (use the same one)

at this point your database should be open for connections... Received on Tue Nov 10 1998 - 17:35:44 CST