Re: How to deploy a 24hrs , 7 days a week kind of database environment?

From: Stephen Tenberg <STenberg_at_Fcs-usa.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:54:38 -0500

I hardly want to ignite the old NT vs. UNIX war but we have 24X7 mission critical Oracle databases host on NT 4.0; we have never regretted the decision
nor had the slightest problem. If you use top of the line equipment (like the dirt cheap Intel nightshade dual Pentium mb) that is certified for NT 4.0, you will not have problems. I still prefer UNIX for very large databases where scaling issues may occur, though.

It is true that approximately once a month we reboot the machines (which I also
insist we do with our UNIX machines as well, to document that they are bootable still).
And yes, NT machines are more prone to memory leaks, but we tend not to see them so much on machines dedicated (mostly) to hosting Oracle.

The strategy I recommend to eliminate downtime in 24X7 is exactly the same we use with UNIX - NEVER reply on a single machine/database, which of course will someday fail. Particularly with NT being so cheap, have two machines and develop a plan (depending upon your situation) using replication, duplication, or cold backups to keep a spare machine ready at all times.

Steve