Express/OLAP on NT - Misbehaving sessions with express

From: <zoran.marjanski_at_wl.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:38:20 GMT

I'm wondering if other people are experiencing periodic problems with phathom sessions that remain connected to express eventhough the client has crashed and burned.

We've experienced a variety of session related problems. I'm now being asked if these periodic session problems are the "norm" or is something "broken" somewhere and needs fixing.

A description of our experiences follows.

We have Oracle Sales Analyzer users connecting to an OSA DB on Express server 6.1.0.1.3d for NT. Some users connect via the LAN and others connect on their laptop remotely via modem dialin into the LAN, then to express via OSA.

Periodically some sort of crash (on the client) happens while using OSA; either OSA itself or Win95, or their modem connection, etc. Sometimes, after the user recovers from their crash (like reboot) and attempts to reconnect to the OSA DB they can't.

The reason they can't is because his/her previous session, that should've disappeared, has remained and has the personal database locked up. Sometimes this phathom session disappears by itself by the time I get called; other times it persists and I must kill it with session manager; other times I can't kill it at all session manager; other times it has disappeared itself but the personal database is still locked up.

Have others had similar experiences?

Thanks Zoran.