datafiles and RAID5

From: Anand Mahajani <anandmahajani_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:06:14 -0800

Hi,

I had implemented RAID5 for oracle server 7.2 on Ultra SPARC with almost same database size. But the platform should not matter.

After benchmarking the performance of the RAID5 against RAID1 (simple striping) I found the performance to shoot almost 40-50%. Theoratically RAID5 is about 25% slower. And since RAID is no substitue to back I diceded to go for simple Striping with sound backup strategy as was suited for the client then with the prevailing operating conditions.

Another point to think of while implementing RAID5 with whatever number of disk are available to you and if you are going to configure single RAID5 volme or multiple RAID5 volumes

To you specific question as to go for single file or multiple files (since its striped any way), I still would go for multiple files for simplicity and ease of managing and administering the files (and in turn tablespace and applications assigned to the databases.

Wsihing you all the LUCK

Anand

   -**** Posted from Supernews, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****- http://www.supernews.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet Received on Tue Nov 10 1998 - 16:06:14 CST