Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: How to create an Oracle schema & database ; How to connect to an oracle server using Visual C++ or any visual tools

Re: How to create an Oracle schema & database ; How to connect to an oracle server using Visual C++ or any visual tools

From: Dan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:30:57 -0800

> Good day to everyone! Im new at Oracle. Can somebody advice me on how to
> create a new Oracle database? Moreover, I need to connect to an Oracle
> server using either JDBC or any visual tools, please advice on how am I going
> to achieve this... do I need any drivers? Any help will very much be
> appreciated. Please email me any help anyone could give me. Thanks!

I can not comment on JDBC but here's the rest of the story.

You can create a database with Oracle during the install procedure. Since it sounds like you are just beginning that starter database should be perfect for you. Be sure to install Oracle Enterprise Manager which is on the same CD. The security manager will allow you to create and delete users. The storage manager will allow you to create and modify tablespaces. The schema manager will allow you to create you entire schema of tables, views, triggers, procs, etc. There are better products than schema manager but this will work just fine for getting started.

For visual tools such as Developer/2000 the connection is built in. You just choose CONNECT from the menu and entire the user name, password, and instance name. In some tools such as VB (yech!) you need to set up an ODBC (double yech!) connection. Everything you need in the way of drivers is on the Oracle CD and should you need something else try going to http://www.oracle.com and you should find it there.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue Nov 10 1998 - 14:30:57 CST