Re: Database APIs and Languages/Tools

From: Stephen Tenberg <STenberg_at_Fcs-usa.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:39:05 -0500

I use the Intersolve ODBC Oracle driver as (as far as I recall) its the only one I could get working fairly well with Active-X controls and the like that are looking for scrolling cursors.
Those controls are needed for fast development of screens with sophsticated GUI. ODBC, is used correctly, is just as fast as native. Intersolve has studies supporting this at their website. When we use ODBC we implement the option to fetch hundreds of rows with each read, this, more than anything, dramatically speeds up access.

For these types of applications, I would recommend a C++ that can directly deal with ODBC, such as Visual C++ or Powersoft C++. I am not sure if the new Borland C++ finally deals directly with ODBC or you still have to use their nasty IDE layer which you dont want to do.

Stored procedures can be executed fine from ODBC or native.

Steve