datafiles and RAID5

From: opus <opus_at_nowhere.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:33:55 -0500

Hello all,

Just getting a new system up and running and we're going to have a RAID5 configuration on a Unix machine HP-UX 10.20(I know, I know, Oracle doesn't recommend it). Has anyone seen any sites or articles on Oracle and RAID5? Are there any specific design considerations I should worry about? For instance, I figure I don't have to worry about where my datafiles are going as it's all gonna be striped. If I have a 10 gig database, does it matter if I have 1 big 10G datafile or should I split it into 10 files of 1G each?

Any thoughts anyone has would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time I've done this on a large box. Up until now our databases have been very small on non-raid unix machines. Please respond in the newsgroup as my email address is incorrectly posted (for the usual reasons). Received on Tue Nov 10 1998 - 12:33:55 CST