Re: Database APIs and Languages/Tools

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:20:21 +0100

Hi Jerwynn
I can see five options
1 use the oracle call interface aka OCI with C, comes with every windows client
This is the lowest level API there is. Using this you don't need ODBC (and ODBC runs on top of sqlnet anyway)
2 use Pro*C, embed normal sql code and precompile c programs using Pro*C into c code that calls Oracle. No ODBC
3 use Oracle Objects for OLE. Also has a C interface, can be compared with RDO
4 use RDO coming with Microsoft Visual C++ AFAIK I have ranked them from fastest to (supposedly) slowest. 5 ex aequo: Borland BDE

VB is probably too slow using ODBC and/or Jet.

OCI and Pro*C definitely support PL/SQL calls. Oracle Objects I don't know

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA