ORDER BY clause without sorting needed...

From: Igor V. Podolsky <igoryok_at_soft-review.kiev.ua>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 98 14:48:20 +0200

Hi all !

I got a following troubles: I wish that my query result set will be not sorted, but I with still have ORDER BY clause in it. Now I'm using 'ORDER BY -1' and following query example works fine:

SELECT id, name FROM customer ORDER BY -1

This query returns result set without sorting. (By the way:

SELECT id, name FROM customer ORDER BY 1

returns sorted by 'id' result set). But I got error 'ORA-01785: ORDER BY item must be the number of a SELECT-list expression' when I try 'ORDER BY -1' with UNION queries. Following statement causes error:

SELECT id, name FROM customer
UNION
SELECT 0, ' ' FROM dual
ORDER BY -1 Is there any another way to prevent query with ORDER BY clause from sorting ? Why 'ORDER BY -1' works by different way with the UNION query ?

P.S. Duplicate answers (if any :( ) to my e-mail please...

--
Is There A God Or Any Kind Of Justice Under The Sky... (Queen'91)

Igor V. Podolsky (igoryok_at_soft-review.kiev.ua) Received on Tue Nov 10 1998 - 06:48:20 CST