Re: Informix and Oracle differences

From: <gary_at_polygon.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:44:26 GMT

We are doing the same, migrating from Informix to Oracle, and I've not found a simple source of information which contrasts the two. If you find one, I'd appreciate a "heads-up." You're most likely looking at learning as much about Oracle as you can and determining the most significant differences yourself. I can tell you some of the ones I noticed first, though. Informix and Oracle differ in the concept of databases. An Informix instance is made up of multiple databases, whereas an Oracle instance always just has one, so you'll likely set up schemas within your Oracle database that correlate to your Informix databases. Oracle doesn't have explicit "temp" tables like Informix does. Oracle has a completely different way of validating user accounts. Oracle's PL/SQL is a much richer language than Informix's SPL. Oracle DBA tools are much more sophisticated than those that come with Informix. The list goes on, and you'll likely have to do your own discovery. But if you have a lot of ESQL/C programs to convert to Pro*C, then there is a concise document that can get you started. Ask your sales rep about it. There's also a migration kit for getting your Informix schema and data into Oracle. It's mostly made up of stored procedures and involves a fair amount of work, so unless you've got a large Informix instance, you'll probably be better off coming up with your own method.

Gary Sadler
Polygon Network