beginner: LONG, BLOB, CLOB

From: Martin Trzaskalik <martin_at_ernie.mi.uni-koeln.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:16:20 +0100

I am currently trying to migrate from a DBase data base to Oracle 8.0.5.0.

I imported the tables from DBase into an Access 97 Database and would like to use ODBC to get them into Oracle.

Several tables have multiple memo fields so I can not use LONG to stored them because only one LONG column is allowed by Oracle.

I tried to migrate them as CLOBs.
However when I try to insert a Record which has a memo with more than 4000 bytes I get an Oracle Error:

ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column

When I insert rows with memos with less than 4000 bytes I do not get this error.

Why is it that CLOB behaves just like VARCHAR2 even if it is a LOB?

Thanks,

Martin Received on Tue Nov 10 1998 - 07:16:20 CST