Re: Setting up Oracle for NT - 8.0.4

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:08:42 +0100

oldgent_at_hotmail.com wrote in message <727pcd$8f$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>We recently purchased Oracle 8 for NT. We have an application which runs in
>SQL Server, but does not run in Oracle. It appears the main problem is that
>double quotations were used within the SQL statements generated by the
>application program.
>
>Ex. Select * from swpipes where pipeno = "A1234"
>
>Is there a setting with Oracle which will allow it to accept such a SQL
>statement without giving an error?

Unfortunetally, strings in double quotations are reserved for naming objects and columns so for example "My name" is valid column (or object) name. It was introduced for compatibility with other DBMSes. I don't remember exactly, maybe it's an ANSI SQL specification feature. In Oracle (and not only in Oracle) valid string literals are encloed with single quotation marks.

Regards,
Piotr Kolodziej
pkol_at_otago.gda.pl Received on Tue Nov 10 1998 - 04:08:42 CST