Server side printing Oracle8/HP-UX

From: <PittsLR_at_housing.pwh.qld.gov.au>
Date: 1998/11/09

Hi gurus,

Server: Oracle 8 (Enterprise Edition) on HP-UX 11.0 Client: Centura Team Developer 1.1 client running on NT 4 Workstations Resources: Oracle Alliance (ie. too many CDs <grin>)

Problem statement: System being developed requires both batched and immediate server side output (for large reports and mail runs etc) and client side printing (exception letters, task sheets etc) using same printing network infrastructure (ie. TCP/IP or SAMBA Hewlett Packard printers). [May be STATE-wide.... (ie. remote to the tune of 2000km or so)]

Question(s): Does anyone have any experience, advice or views they wish to share? We are currently evaluating the Centura Report Windows product but it does NOT provide server side printing (and the interface is laughable - DOH!). Other suggestions have included HTML markup and printing but having been there, done that I would prefer to beat my head against a wall. I have read that Oracle Reports may provide server side printing (which would solve my problem) depending on platform (and our Oracle CDs only include Report Server for NT). Searching the Oracle site achieved nothing and the technical support lines have been busy for days. Does anyone know if Report Server is available for HP-UX? If so what would be the very approximate cost? Are the reports as WYSIWYG as stated (say a template is drafted on a client and then the system prints the report on the server - will there be any issues with fonts etc, a requirement to use postscript?)

As always, thanks in advance for any responses/comments,

Regards,

Lachlan Pitts
project: Pittslr_at_housing.pwh.qld.gov.au : (07) 3224 7806

Housing Queensland
Home Purchase Assistance Unit - Loans Project Level 3, 61 Mary Street, BRISBANE 4000

PS:
Please CC: replies to e-mail - PittsLR_at_housing.pwh.qld.gov.au [Government department - ergo net admin is run by security nazis] The above text is my own and do not reflect the views of the Queensland Government, Softworks Pty Ltd or anyone else [unless they agree <grin>].