Re: Choosing a database for a DSS system (40-100G range)

From: Ken Chiu <kschiu_at_bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: 1998/11/09

>NT + SQL server 7
>NT + Oracle 8
>NT + DB2
>AIX + DB2
>SUN + Oracle
>
>Which one of the above will be the best bet? Cheapest solution?
>
>I looked at the TPC-D results and figured that AIX +DB2 or SUN +
>Oracle are the best (at a cost). NT + SQL server scores well in TPC-C
>(NOT D) and that worries me.

I should clarify the requirment:

1)I just verified the growth estimations and the data size is about 400 million rows for 1 table by 2001. Each row contains 15-40 columns.

2) # of users: 1, since I am just using Crystal Report to write reports and no online users accessing the database. It is basically a report generator. However, we might run 4-5 reports simultaneously.

3) Each day, approx. 6 million rows will be imported(ascii)/deleted from the table.

4) Queries are Group, 400million row table joints with 100,000 rows table, sum, count, where X=Y ... etc.

In a nutshell, we are trying to build a database to analyse phone call patterns and generate bills in the province.

As far as I can tell:

My PC (PII350, 128M, 1 SCSI disk, NT4, SQL6.5) performs badly with a 20 million rows table with NO JOINS. Ok, I know that PC is not even close to be adquate ...

A high end Intel box, with multi cpus and Gigs or ram, is approx. 20% cheaper (read: not that much) than a SUN and AIX; Anyone correct me on this one? Am I comparing an apple to an orange?

I guess I should put it that way:

If the budget is:

	50,000 US - 100,000 US
	100,001US - 200,000 US
	200,001US and above

then which platform to pick? What are the pros, cons? Do we have more tools if we go for NT?

We have the expertise to support SUN,AIX and NT.

Thanks very much.

Ken Received on Mon Nov 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CST