System's resources and prevent unnecessary maintenance down the line

From: Sudhakar Butala <sbutala_at_dean.med.uth.tmc.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 15:35:29 -0600

Can anyone please assist or advise me about a disk iteration problem!

I am running Solaris 2.4 on a Sun Sparc 1000 with the following available partitions:

 Storage memory       Partition #
  ----------------       ---------
           500Mb               1

            500Mb              2

            500Mb              3

            1Gb                   4

            1Gb                   5

            1Gb                   6

I need to store the following information on the disks above for the two midium to large size databases:

Since I am not sure how much disk space I will need to allocate for each

partition, I would appreciate advise as to where I should store what for

optimal disk I/O. For example, if I store the Application software, Archived redo log destination disk on a 1Gb hard drive, should I partition
it before I place (for instance) the Oracle Software on the same hard drive? If I do not have to partition it, will adding more be a problem?

Or, would partitioning the 1Gb so that all the information would be stored
on its own partition be the best solution. I would greatly appreciate any
assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact/e-mail me to elaborate your
suggestion.

I thank you in advice for your help. Received on Mon Nov 09 1998 - 15:35:29 CST