Re: oracle tuning

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 10 Nov 1998 03:22:42 GMT

From: "Boris Kühn" >>
NT 4 Server. now, the problem is that the performance is still... hmmm... not the best. now my question: could anyone give me information/hints on how to speed up oracle ??? <<<

Even though your database may need some tuning, the odds are that you will see the most gain from tunning the application SQL.

Run explain plans and tkprof against your SQL.

As far as the database goes, check the major ratios and latches: buffer cache, dictionary cache, library cache, redo latch, and rbs header segment contention.  Check the numbers in v$sysstat and v$waitstat. If these are acceptable the problem is the SQL. You might want to monitor your locks, v$lock, to verify that your application does not have contention problems.

I hope this helps some.

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice - Received on Mon Nov 09 1998 - 21:22:42 CST