How to find out if a NUMBER is actually a integer, float etc.

From: <rrachamallu_at_nquire.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 02:41:36 GMT

Hi, I am writing an oracle application using OCI 7. I am using odescr to get the description of the select list items. The problem I have is that oracle returns the internal data type of NUMBER, whether the column is defined as integer, float or double precision. How can I find out if a particular NUMBER is an integer or a float? I tried to use the scale information, but looks like scale is not applicable for integer, real, double precision etc.

thanks.
reddy